Thursday, June 12, 2008

Day 6 - Walking my Beat in San Francisco... I dig it!

Saturday, May 24th, 2008


I was struggling with how to approach my full day in San Francisco. There was the ever present pressure associated with an opportunity such as this to see as much as possible during the short visit. Do I drive the swell-filled streets with the Dakota and pretend I’m Frank Bullitt as I take in the sites, trying not to torpedo my truck into the next intersection. Or do I ride the Streetcars and hang off the Cable Cars, taking my ‘tourist’ status to the next level. Should I just bus it and get a 1 day Muni Passport and hop on and off public transit all day. Come On… I’m a veteran of the European Backpacking Adventure; Walk it!


I started my self-guided tour of San Fran after taking full advantage of the complementary breakfast at the motel, twice. Neil it was all pastries, you’d have loved it. You Dig it the Most! I wasn’t trying to hide the fact I was a tourist today. I was committed to seeing way too much city in way too little time, so I couldn’t afford to be stealth about it. The three components of ‘tourist’ are as follows: Carrying a Backpack, holding a map, and wielding a camera. There are of course bonus categories such as reading from a Guide book while on route, wearing a stupid hat, walking with a tri-pod, standing stationary at an intersection looking up at street signs and groaning. I wasn’t dealing with those ‘tourist’ aspects, I did however have the Golden-Three covered and had created one of my own to amp up my ‘tourist’ quality; I was snapping away with a second camera.

And so my day went. I covered some serious ground, working my map, and pulling the trigger on my camera as often as possible. It was an eight hour affair and along with the big sightseeing locations, I moved through a good part of the cities ‘average’ streets. The great part about the ‘average’ qualification in this case is that like say a Venice, every corner reveals a picturesque street. Some of my favourite spots were the North Beach area where the Jack Kerouac 50’s Beat Generation still thrive, Haight Ashbury where there still lingers a strong hint of Hippie, and Fishermans Wharf where the Bay front promenade is bustling while the fresh catch gets served up. I must also mention the popular Pier 39, not only because it is a happening spot for lunch time dining and an epicenter for the water-front souvenir explosion, but this particular Pier is the location of the SFSL Orchestra. They play for the crowds and love the attention; the San Francisco Sea Lion Orchestra is always ready to bark out a few numbers while basking in the light of the flash bulbs. It's a must see event. The Pacific Heights area seemed like the place to set up camp if you wanted to become a native of Frisco. There were great looking San Francisco style four story houses, as well as the odd massive Victorian that seemed to cry out ‘Joooooohhhhhhnnnn, stay in San Fran and we will make you happy’. I ran into a handful of parks during my meander, the Buena Vista wilderness being my favourite. Mind you it’s quite the climb. Actually the whole freakin city is full of huge climbs, but you forget all that when you’re faced with the overwhelming views that result. Ahhhhh, San Francisco, I could go on about you forever. The unfortunate thing about telling the tale is that not only can ‘Words not describe it’, but in this case not even the ‘A picture is worth a thousand words’ can take care of business. You must experience Frisco first hand. The city is alive, it has character. One minute you’re in a harbor town with fresh fish being served up, the next you’re in the bright streets of Chinatown, then there’s the clean, crisp hustle and bustle of the Financial District, the gardens of the Golden Gate Park and Presidio, and the history of Nob Hill. On top of that there is this unmistakable vibe that ties it all together and lets you never forget that you are in San Francisco. It’s extraordinary. And that’s after just one day!


I finished my day with a trip to the Fog City Diner. It was a great find just off the Pier area. The combination of the old American Diner atmosphere and youthful hot-spot style gave off a unique vibe that had me smiling the whole time I was there. The best of both worlds is never easy to figure out, but Fog City Diner has it pegged. I ate at the bar, while chatting to the Bar Tender and the odd guest who was waiting for their table. Service, Food, Drinks, it was all part of my two thumbs up. I left the restaurant with enough time to casually wander along the Piers at Fishermans Wharf and soak in the energy of the strip-like promenade. And that was it. One day in San Francisco and it was just what Dean Moriarty and Sal ordered. Kerouac would have been proud.

Day Six: San Francisco… Add it to your Bucket List.

No comments: